Midstar, an International Agri Commodity Trading Company, is seeking candidates for the position of Shipping / Chartering Manager. He/she will be the one to ensure complete operations pertaining to shipping matters. The Manager will be working as a point of contact for the negotiation and management of freight rates and contract proposals with ship owners and third-party brokers. The main purpose of the position is to support existing and new clients with cost-effective freight solutions. The candidate should be analytical, well-organized and excels in communication. He/she must be comfortable with paperwork and information systems and have great knowledge of shipping and receiving procedures.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide market intelligence, freight matrix, updates and industry changes to traders and management on a regular basis.
• Monitoring in-house chartered vessel ‘s on a continuous basis, keeping a close watch on the market conditions, rates & availability of various vessels.
• Plan and implement overall shipping strategy.
• Negotiate and execute physical freight contracts with ship owners and brokers for new long-term contracts and spot opportunities.
• Use software to track, check, prioritize and route orders.
• Manage all important documents concerned to shipping.
• Direct the flow of shipment.
• Supervise and lead reporting staffs.
• Control budget of the shipping department.
• Resolve issues regarding shipped orders.
• Ensure compliance to legal regulations and company policies.
• Report to management on activities and issues.
• Responsible for Insurance & Claim handling under our open covers for Charterers’ Liability in respect of Protection & Indemnity including liabilities for damage to hull – Class 1, Marine Defense – Class 2 & War risks as well as Cargo, Contingency & Infestation / Fumigation covers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• Minimum of 20 years of experience as a Shipping Manager or similar role
• A degree in BBA or equivalent (Masters preferred but not required).
• A sound understanding on the local and international Agri Commodity markets is a primary requirement as well as an existing client-base within the relevant geography.
• Knowledge of logistics operations and shipping procedures and documents.
• Hands on experience with shipping software.
• Good leadership skills.
• Critical thinker and problem-solving skills.
• Team player.
• Good time-management skills.
• Great interpersonal and communication skills.
• Flexibility to work nontraditional hours including nights and weekends.
• Detail-oriented and reliable.
• A strong work ethic, integrity, stability, sense of urgency, fairness, and a desire and willingness to take ownership and assume responsibility for the operation.
• Excellent communication skills in English is a must. Additional languages would be an added advantage.